Monday, February 7, 2011

Mulligatawny Soup

Chicken Rice Curry Soup

Ingredients:
2 TBSP butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup peeled, chopped, Granny Smith apple
2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cloves
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes (or 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes)
1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup rice
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.  Add the onions, carrots, celery and apples.  Cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes.  Add the flour, curry and cloves.  Cook 1-2 minutes; stirring constantly.  Add the both, tomatoes, and lemon juice; stir to combine.  Add rice and stir.  Reduce heat and partially cover, simmering for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Add chicken and simmer 5-10 minutes until chicken and rice are cooked.  Season with salt and pepper.


*My notes: I don't use the cloves because I'm not really a fan of their flavor.  I use canned tomatoes and lemon juice from a lemon juice container.  I also cook my chicken first.  I can't remember if I cook my rice first of not.  And next time I make it, I'm trying it with brown rice.



No comments: